Wednesday, November 21, 2012

36 week (+2 days) check up

We went in bright and early this morning for an ultrasound and visit with Dr. Shrout.  News flash: I grow big babies.  Baby D is currently measuring 7 pounds, 3 ounces (margin of error +/- 1 pound) and 38 weeks and 1 day (+/- 1 week).  So I'm actually 36w2d, but measuring 13 days ahead.

What does that mean?  Baby is big.  If you assume I go to 41 weeks again, we're looking at 10+ pounds.  The good news is that I have a lot of fluid to support the baby and he or she is head down and has a strong and healthy heartbeat.  All of my vitals look great, blood pressure is excellent and they have no concerns.  I'm feeling good, tired, but overall pretty good.  It's getting uncomfortable especially when I sit for long periods of time because there's no room left in my midsection.  And it broke my heart the other day when Nate asked to cuddle with me on the couch but there's no room left with my big belly!

We're starting to talk about scheduling an induction date.  With Nate, we scheduled the date 3-4 weeks in advance and the doctor told me, "You're already dilated,  you'll never make it to 41 weeks but we'll get it on the books just in case."  Ha!  Nate showed that guy who's boss.  Any decisions about when to induce this time will be based on progress on dilation and effacement. So far, nothing.  But that's not at all uncommon in second pregnancies.  Dr. Shrout suggested looking at the week of December 10th but I'd like to get to 40 weeks before we start inducing.  Doctor was fine with that assuming baby and mom remain in good health.  So we'll see!  Starting next week, I go back in every Thursday until my due date.

No comments:

Post a Comment